Sunday, January 26, 2014

Villain Collection

It is no surprise that I'm a huge Disney fan.  I've probably been to Walt Disney World at least 10 times in my lifetime, with another booked trip in September of this year.  For my Facebook friends, my page is full of Disney pictures and ride check-ins for a solid week each year.

A big part, if not the quintessential part of my Disney obsession is the films.  Disney films were always my favorite growing up and remain so today.  I think there is something that speaks to everyone in those classic animated films that I remember growing up with:  Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast, Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland…and the list goes on.  The songs, princesses, heroes and sidekicks were always entertaining, but to me sometimes the most entertaining characters were the villains in these movies.  To this day I still think Maleficent is a classic villain albeit in animated form.  Her voice was creepy, she looked evil - she was the whole package of a perfect villain.
Well in looking for inspiration for a complete, handmade notecard collection I turned to these classic villains from my favorite animated films.  Of course at the top of my list were Maleficent, Ursula, the Evil Queen, Gaston and Scar.  But I wanted to showcase these characters in a way that made them relevant to the pop culture of today.  So if the Evil Queen, Cruella and Maleficent were in a high school cafeteria they would be the epitome of mean girls.  Gaston would blame your break-up entirely on you.  Ursula would suffer from extremely high self-esteem.

Needless to say the process was time-consuming:  pairing the characters with a witty saying (well hopefully witty), tracing and editing them to fit on paper and making them something that I would use in my daily life.  As I said before, everything I make is something I would use - so the challenge is always designing for myself and for my own aesthetic.  

I'm thrilled with the way the nine designs came out.  The characters are able to come to life by literally popping off the page with some pop adhesive and fun sayings.

I decided to split the nine designs up into three sets which will be posted on klm Creative starting today. The second set is scheduled for a week from today and the third set for two weeks from today.  Depending on the success of the sets, I may or may not offer a deluxe set of all nine designs.

Here are the completed design photos:




No comments:

Post a Comment